Please refer our previous blog, Blog No. 45, in which we traced the link between International Labor Day and Engineering, and identified a few key factors which would help sustain a great Engineering Support Ecosystem.
Earlier in Blog No. 42, we proposed to take up various obstacles on the way of our achieving our Objective. Then we took up two very important obstacles – one, Gaps in Expertise, and second, Process Compliance.
Today let us take up one more obstacle – Attrition.
Before we look into the reasons for attrition, let’s think over its impact (so that we can look into the reasons with a greater sense of urgency). The primary impact is:
- An organization loses a resource for whom it invested in training, on-job learning, familiarizing with its aspirations and operational framework, building up customer confidence, etc.
- A resource loses a ground worked hard on and having to do ground work again.
It will help us to identify the reasons for attrition if we look at the details of a scenario in which “Attrition is just not possible”:
- An ambience of respect and concern
- An ambience of ease and focus
- An ambience of professional challenges for personal growth
- An ambience of business stability
- Fair and rewarding Performance Appraisal System
- Organizational sensitivity and effort for resource alignment with organization’s vision
- Room for accommodating individual traits and aspirations
Do you see any other elements?
The actual scenario that exists is, generally speaking, far from being one in which “Attrition is just not possible”….
Let’s see how the actual scenario seems to be:
|An ambience of respect and concern||An ambience of “Mind your work, we have no mind for you”|
|An ambience of ease and focus||An ambience of no focus, or an ambience of painful focus to meet timelines|
|An ambience of professional challenges for personal growth||An ambience of money-making without caring for individual’s growth|
|Fair and rewarding Performance Appraisal System||An irrelevant Appraisal System with very limited interest in keeping an individual delighted|
|Organizational sensitivity and effort for resource alignment with organization’s vision||No sensitivity for individual’s alignment – “Fall in line, or get lost”|
|Room for accommodating individual traits and aspirations||Flat, conservative and unwise business model with no such room|
…and hence the attrition-related discomforts – both for organizations and individuals!
A seed should attain its full growth when planted in a soil… We, as the farmers, have all that it takes to account for!
Let’s introspect further…It’s important!
#3068, 3rd Floor, 11th Main, 11th Cross, Off 80 ft Road, HAL II Stage, Indiranagar, Bangalore, India – 560008